Here are a few general principles to keep in mind as you read through this Policy:
- We may share your Personal Information (as defined herein) with third parties for third party marketing purposes. You can elect for us not to do so by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. To find out more about your opt-out rights, see the “Opt In and Opt Out” Section below.
- This Policy does not apply to information that you may provide to us, or that we may obtain, other than through our Websites, such as over the phone, by mail, or in person, except that your rights to opt-out of our use and sharing of your Personal Information with third parties for their own marketing purposes applies also to the Personal Information that we collect offline.
Third Party Websites
MSM works with a variety of third party businesses to collect and manage information provided from, and provide services to prospective students, applicants, current students, alumni, purchasers and consumers of our digital products, employers and other site users. As part of these services, certain companies operate websites or online features on behalf of MSM and may display MSM’s name, logo or other information on their sites. These sites are not owned or controlled by MSM, and this Policy does not govern these sites.
What information is collected on this Website?
Information You Provide to Us
“Personal Information” is information that can be used to identify you as an individual or allow someone to contact you. We may collect Personal Information such as your name, date of birth, postal addresses, email addresses, telephone numbers, photograph, gender, donation information, credit card and other payment information, purchase, site browsing and transaction history, social security number, year you plan to begin study, current grade, other demographic information, interests and any other information you provide to us online. For example, we collect Personal Information when you conduct a transaction on this Website, fill out an application via this Website or our partner’s site, register for information about our digital products, create an alumni, student, or other account on this Website, sign up for our newsletters, make a donation, make online purchases of products or tickets to events, complete any quizzes or surveys, or submit a comment or question to us by email or by the “contact admissions” feature, or similar feature on this Website. We may also collect additional Personal Information contributed by you, if we provide you with the capability to upload a photo or contribute to a blog, wiki or other social forum on this Website.
Information Gathered Automatically
When you visit a Website, some information is automatically collected by us. For example, our servers automatically collect your IP address when you visit this Website, and we may associate that with your domain name or that of your Internet access provider. If you access a Website that is a mobile application or a web-based Website via a mobile application, we receive data from or about the mobile phone or devices that you use to install and/or access the Website. We may also capture certain “clickstream data” pertaining to your site usage (such information referred to as “Website Usage Information”). Clickstream data includes, for example, information about your computer or mobile device, web browser and operating system and their settings, the referring page that linked you to the Website, the pages, content or ads, to the extent ads have been included on the Website, that you see or click on during your visit and when and for how long you do so, items you download, the next website you visit when you leave the Website, and any search terms you have entered on the Website or a referral site.
In addition, we may deploy various tracking technologies on the Websites to collect additional information about your Website visits. For example:
- Local Shared Object: Local shared objects, such as “Flash cookies,” may be stored on your computer or device using a media player or other software installed on your computer or device. Local shared objects operate like cookies, but cannot be managed in the same way. Depending on how local shared objects are enabled on your computer or device, you may be able to manage them using software settings. For example, for information on managing Flash cookies click here.
- HTML5: HTML5 (the language some websites are coded in) may be used to store information on your computer or device about your Website usage activities. This information can be retrieved by us to determine how this Website is being used by our visitors, how it can be improved, and to customize it for our users.
- Cache cookies: Cache cookies, such as eTags, may be used to identify your computer or device as the same computer or device that visited our Website or another website in the past.
- Clear Gifs: A pixel tag (also known as a “clear GIF” or “web beacon”) is a tiny image – typically just one-pixel – that can be placed on a web page or in our electronic communications to you in order to help us measure the effectiveness of our content by, for example, counting the number of individuals who visit us online or verifying whether you’ve opened one of our emails or seen one of our web pages.
These tracking technologies may be deployed by us and/or by our service providers on our behalf. These technologies enable us to assign a unique number to you, and relate your Website Usage Information to other information about you, including your Personal Information.
By using this Website, you consent to our use of these tracking technologies as described above.
Information Obtained from Third Parties
We may supplement the information obtained from you with information that is obtained from third parties. The type of information that is shared with us could include, for example, contact information (like name and email address) and user demographic information (like zip code, age or income level), as well as other types of Personal Information and non-personally identifiable information. We will use such supplemental information received or obtained from third parties in accordance with this Policy.
Do Not Track Disclosures
Some web browsers may transmit “do-not-track” (DNT) signals to the websites with which the user communicates. Because of differences in how web browsers incorporate and activate this feature, it is not always clear whether users intend for these signals to be transmitted, or whether they even are aware of them. Because there currently is no industry standard concerning what, if anything, websites should do when they receive such signals, we currently do not change our tracking practices (which are explained in more detail directly above) in response to DNT settings in your web browser. We do not require third party service providers to honor DNT settings in any particular way. If and when a final standard is established and accepted, we may reassess how to respond to these signals.
Do we share Personal Information and Website Usage Information with others?
Yes. We may share the information we collect on this Website with others for a variety of reasons. In addition to the kinds of information sharing you might expect, such as sharing within MSM and with third parties who need your information in order to provide services to us (or on our behalf), and sharing what you voluntarily post to public areas on this Website with other Website users, we may share your information:
- with our affiliates and other third parties for their marketing and other purposes, unless you tell us not to by following the instructions in the Opt in and Opt out section of this Policy
- with our co-sponsor(s) if we obtain your information in connection with a contest, offering, or other promotional activity that is jointly offered by us and any third parties, unless you instruct us not to by following the instructions in the Opt in and Opt out section of this Policy
- when we believe in good faith that disclosure is necessary to protect our rights or property, protect your safety or the safety of others, investigate fraud or respond to a government, judicial or other legal request, or to comply with the law
- in connection with a corporate change or dissolution, including for example a merger, acquisition, reorganization, consolidation, bankruptcy, liquidation, sale of assets or wind down of business
In addition, we may share non-personally identifiable Website Usage Information (including aggregate data) with others for their own use, in a form that does not include your name or contact information.
Furthermore, when you use our Websites, certain information you post or share, such as comments, or other content or information, may be accessible to other users of the Website. If such portion of the Website is only available to you as a MSM student, only other users who are also able to log in to such portion of the Website will have access to information you post or share there.
Opt In and Opt Out
You may have the right to “opt in” and/or “opt out” of certain of our uses and disclosures of your Personal Information. For example, you may opt out of promotional emails from certain areas of our Websites by either clicking on an opt out or “unsubscribe” link, to the extent one is provided in the promotional email, or by responding to the email address given within the promotional email.
If you want us not to share (or stop sharing) your Personal Information with third parties for their direct marketing use, please send us an email at: email@example.com indicating that you are asking us to stop sharing your information with third parties. Please note that we will not be responsible for any communications that you may receive from entities that received your Personal Information prior to the date of your request. In these cases, please contact that entity directly.
We use Google Analytics to generate analytics reports on the usage of this Website. To learn more about Google Analytics, please visit the Google Analytics Privacy Overview.
Please understand that it may take us a few days to process any opt out request and that even if you opt out of receiving certain correspondence from us, we may still contact you in connection with your relationship, activities, transactions and communications with us.
We maintain a presence on several social networking and blogging platforms, including, without limitation, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Pinterest, and Instagram, and we also incorporate some third party social networking features onto our Websites. Through these platforms and features, as well as additional platforms and features, whether now known or hereafter developed, we may receive some Personal Information and some Website Usage Information about you, and this Policy applies to the information that we collect through such platforms. However, such third party social networking platforms and blogging platforms have their own privacy policies which explain how they will use, protect and share your information, including any information you share on those platforms through our Websites, and we encourage you to read them.
By submitting your mobile phone number, you consent for MSM to send text messages (“Text Messaging”) about MSM to the mobile device associated with that number using an automatic system. Message and data rates may apply. You may not consent on behalf of someone else or provide someone else’s phone number. We will use any information we collect in connection with our Text Messaging in accordance with this Policy.
You will have the ability to opt out of receiving text messages by following the instructions in the text message you receive.
While we endeavor to protect the security and integrity of sensitive Personal Information collected via our Websites, due to the inherent nature of the Internet as an open global communications vehicle, we cannot guarantee that any information, during transmission through the Internet or while stored on our system or otherwise in our care, will be absolutely safe from intrusion by others, such as hackers. If you correspond with us by email, text message, or even through web forms like a “contact admissions” feature on this Website, you should be aware that your transmission might not be secure. A third party could view the information you send in transit by such means. We will have no liability for disclosure of your information due to errors or unauthorized acts of third parties during or after transmission.
If we believe that the security of your Personal Information in our care may have been compromised, we may seek to notify you of that development. If a notification is appropriate, we will endeavor to notify you as promptly as possible under the circumstances. If we have your email address, we may notify you by email. You consent to our use of email as a means of such notification. If you prefer for us to use the U.S. Postal Service to notify you in this situation, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
While MSM offers programs for children at certain times of the year, and provides information about those programs on this Website, this Website is intended solely for users who are thirteen (13) years of age or older. We do not knowingly collect Personal Information from Users under thirteen (13) without prior verified parental consent. If you are under the age of thirteen (13), please do not provide Personal Information of any kind whatsoever.
Changes to this Policy
We reserve the right to change this Policy from time to time, and such changes will be effective with respect to this Website immediately upon posting on this Website. We will notify you of material changes to this Policy by other means, including, for example, by posting the revised Policy with the date it was revised on this page or by email. We encourage you to periodically review this Policy to stay informed about how we are protecting the information we collect.
If you have any questions or comments regarding our privacy practices, you may contact us at email@example.com.
Effective Date: September 2015